Sunday, November 18, 2012

Then and Now – the former Sussex Estate



In Singapore, old buildings have a way of disappearing overnight. Likewise, new buildings too have a habit of springing up seemingly overnight as these 4 photos of the former Sussex Estate at Clementi illustrate.



For years I have been travelling along Clementi Road and passed by this place called Sussex Estate. I noticed some low-rise buildings there including some kind of veterinary; but had never been curious about them until I visited the Memories of Singapore website hosted by Tom O’Brien and learnt that some British families used to live there in the 1960’s. But sadly, by then, the buildings in Sussex Estate had all been cleared and all that was left was an open field. Hence one day, in 2007, I decided to take a couple of photos of this place from an HDB block in Clementi Avenue 1 to share with Tom O’Brien and his buddies.

Five years have flown by, and that field too has disappeared, and a spanking new estate called Casa Clementi had sprung up. Meantime, across the road, a similar fate had befallen the Warren Golf Club. 

Someone just sent me this old photo of Sussex Estate. Thanks Peter.

11 comments:

James Tann said...

I remember there used to be a SAF camp called Colombo Camp there. Had hills that was later used by motorcross enthusiasts.

James Tann said...

No, I remember Colombo camp was further down Clementi Road nearer to Ulu Pandan junction.

Lye Khuen Way said...

I have mixed feelings of that Vet in Sussex Estate, the one that sit on a slope.

You see, I was taken there for a rabies jab by a British service man because one of his dogs bit me on my right calf.

Was not too sure if it was a normal clinic or a Vetinnary then.

chin koon fun said...

I stayed at Sussex during my final year at Kent Ridge. Between the blocks is a smaller servant's quarters - 2 small rooms, a small open kitchen with a toilet/shower.
I rented one of the rooms at the servants quarters. Unlike local houses there are no enclosed compounds for the rows of houses. A lot of greenery, open areas and quiet. Missed the ambience of the place.

Unknown said...

It is extremely great post.
I love to read such types of story.
thanks
Website Hosting Sussex

Serri said...

I remember, as a child, I used to look out from my bedroom window at night from Blk 414 (on your map) towards Sussex Estate and found it a bit creepy with the colonial houses and trees.

In the day though, it was a delight to cycle through the Horsham Road circuit.

By the way Warren Golf Club is now at Choa Chu Kang, no?

Anonymous said...

Mr Lam, what a nice find online. I don't even remember what I initially searched for but I've been reading your blog for days now.

My primary school was just across the road from Sussex estate. As a kid I never really dared to walk near the trees either! I remember bringing my pet dogs to the vet inside the estate for jabs...it's really sad that it disappeared to make way for more high rise monstrosities. :(

Lam Chun See said...

Haha. I like that; high-rise monstroisitie. Turns our island into a monstros-city.

BK Chua said...

I used to live here, actually. From 1976 to mid 1987. A good number of my childhood years living at 42 Goodwood Road, Singapore 0512. my house is situated between the 2 dead end roads named Horsham Road and Goodwood Road. My only regret is not taking enough photos of the estate... great memories living there which i thoroughly enjoyed, cycling round the estate and being chased by the dogs, playing with the other kids, and there is an old swing at the end of Horsham Road too, and its a little scary too...

Anonymous said...

I have been living in Clementi Avenue 1 Block 407 (on your map) since I was born (1981).

Spent my childhood playing football with my friends at the concrete space at the foot of block 408.

I remember Sussex Estate as we used to bring our pet dogs to the vet there for check ups.

And fast forward to 2021, the old blocks there have been enblocked and demolished. My family and I moved over to the brand new Casa Clementi estate

Hisham Mohd Saad said...

Our former home was at Blk 412 Commonwealth Avenue West till we move out in year 1992. During my primary and secondary school days, I used to ride my BMX bicycle up at Sussex estate 🚴