Friday, June 06, 2008

A question for the Clementians

The series of articles that Peter and I wrote last month about the Ulu Pandan and Clementi area has caught the attention of some Clementi residents and they posted a link to this blog from their website.

So to those visitors for Clementi, and to all other readers who care to try, I have a question for you. According to my 1981 street directory, the area south of Ulu Pandan Road and Sungei Ulu Pandan was known as Pasir Panjang. How to you explain that?

Please note; this is not a quiz question because I am just as puzzled as you?


6 comments:

Icemoon said...

outrightly there seem to be some kind of mistake.

on cadastral maps, that area is smack between mukim III (pasir panjang) and mukim IV (Ulu Pandan).

Yan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and thoughtful of you to have left a comment.

Not from your part of the world. But having stayed there for a while, and having many fond memories with my mum there, Singapore to me is called SingLand. Yes, I call it SingLand!

So, it's not surprising that I find your blog interesting!

Will pass by more!

Lam Chun See said...

Looks like nobody knows the answer to this mystery. Let's hope one of these days, one of our readers can give us the ans. By the way, I checked the 1963 street directory, and it also showed the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Chun See - I might have found the answer. You can read it in my blog.

Lam Chun See said...

Thanks Icemoon. I just got back from a holiday. I need some time to reconnect - so many emails.

Unknown said...

Having been living in the Dover/Clementi area since 1980, I too am not sure why pasir panjang is shown there. Pasir Panjang ridges is about 1mile south, but this area is also pretty hilly, comprising of the hill where Sg Poly is, and the hills of Dover Close East, Dover Rise, former Warren golf club. Only a valley seperates these hills from Pasir Panjang and Kent Ridge.