Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Golden Hairpin

When I was very young, our family’s favourite pastime was watching black and white Cantonese kungfu movies at the South Country (Lam Kok) Theatre in Kampong San Teng. This was in the 1950s. One movie that I cannot forget is The Golden Hairpin (碧血金钗). After more than half a century, all I remember about this movie, other than the title, is that the lead role was played by a popular Hong Kong film star by the name of Cheong Ying Choi (张英才) .

And the reason I cannot forget this movie is that I never got to know its ending. You see; this movie was a bit like the Lords of the Ring trilogy. Hence, after watching the first episode, we had to wait patiently for months before the next episode became available. I remember that after watching 2 (maybe it was 3) episodes, I was waiting eagerly to catch the grand finale …… but it never came! I waited and waited; but I never learnt how the story ended. How frustrating! (But, actually, it was not difficult to guess the ending, because it was one of those typical “kill villain and avenge si-fu’s death” type of story.

Anyway, thanks to YouTube, I am now able to find ‘closure’ because I discovered that somebody has actually uploaded all 4 episodes. In fact, in the comments section, one viewer expressed his gratitude because like me, he too did not see the final episode. Unfortunately, after more than fifty years; I have totally forgotten the story. And hence, if I wanted to know the ending; I have to go back to the beginning. Well, like we Singaporeans are fond of saying; “Where got time?”.

Nevertheless, out of curiosity, I did watch a few minutes of the beginning and was thrilled to see the names of many actors that I had not seen for ages; such as Chan Hou Kow (陈好逑) and Si-ma Wah Lung (司马华龙).  Anyway, if you have more patience than me; here you are. Enjoy.


7 comments:

Zen said...

All these actors are now very old, either playing the role of grandpa like cheong ying choy and wu fung. Some of them had already passed away. Incidentally, I went with my parents and uncle to see a cantonese opera from hongkong and saw m/s chan ho kow playing the lead lady role (fa-dan)with the late famous opera actor ho fei fan.

Annette Fox said...

I'm so glad you got your closure. Your anecdote made me smile.

aarongrey112 said...

Hi, Nice site I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing. Would it be possible if I contact you through your email? Please email me back. Thanks!

Aaron Grey
aarongrey112 at gmail.com

Nathalie Au said...

Hi Mr Lam,

I am currently working with a team to produce a documentary for Channel News Asia to commemorate Singapore's 50th birthday anniversary. It features the transformation of Singapore, through its buildings and architecture, like the evolution of Orchard road and how the wonderful "Three Worlds" used to be like.

We are currently in the research phase and while researching on the 'Three Worlds' that were so popular for so many years, we found your blog where you shared your best fond memories at the Great World Amusement Park as a child. I hoped that you might be willing to share any relevant insight you might have about this period and about the Great World Park.

At this juncture no decisions regarding filming have been made, but I hoped you might be willing to chat to us over the phone or in person to share any stories you might have.

I have tried to contact you through Facebook, but I believe you might not have seen it. I hope that you would contact me at nathalie@xtreme.com.sg.

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you soonest.

Anonymous said...

Do you need Personal Loan?
Business Cash Loan?
Unsecured Loan
Fast and Simple Loan?
Quick Application Process?
Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
No Hidden Fees Loan?
Funding in less than 1 Week?
Get unsecured working capital?
Email us:(arabcreditefirm@gmail.com)

Application Form:
=================
Full Name:................
Loan Amount Needed:.
Purpose of loan:.......
Loan Duration:..
Gender:.............
Marital status:....
Location:..........
Home Address:..
City:............
Country:......
Phone:..........
Mobile / Cell:....
Occupation:......
Monthly Income:....

Email us(arabcreditefirm@gmail.com)
Reply

Gloria Leo said...

Very interesting and helpful tips, many thanks for sharing them
If you want to make your journey hassle-free then this option is best for you. airport parking Stansted

Drain Cleaning Broken Arrow said...

Nice blog thankss for posting