Saturday, February 04, 2012

Soft launch of my book @ Peranakan Museum

This afternoon, I attended the “soft-launch” of my book, Good Morning Yesterday. I want to thank all friends who came and friends at the National Heritage Board who helped organise this event. I call this a “soft launch” because it was limited to invited friends. These are my friends from the “Friends of Yesterday.sg” (FOYers) group, as well as fellow nostalgia/heritage bloggers.



The reason I chose to do this launch with my FOYer friends is because this book has its roots in the group. I remember we had our inaugural meeting exactly 6 years ago at the nearby Moon River Restaurant. Six years passed quickly, and the movement we started that day has grown tremendously. Interest in heritage and nostalgia blogging has grown significantly and so has the number of our members. Many of us still blog regularly and we meet regularly too. And we have made many new friends, some in the cyberspace, and some from overseas.


Judging from the number of requests for assistance received by me and my friends - from students, media people, as well as tv documentary producers - I think interest in heritage and nostalgia has grown tremendously these past few years. I’d like to believe that our group played no small part. And one of those developments of course, is the publication of my book. Hence, it is appropriate that I celebrate this milestone in my career with my fellow FOYers.


As I said in my speech, today’s event itself is already an achievement for me. If my book does well in the marketplace, that is a bonus. It might even give me the confidence to venture into another similar project. Just as I had been inspired by the writers in our midst, like Dr Tan Wee Kiat and Mr Shaik Kadir, I hope that a few of our FOYer friends who are also contemplating writing a book will be encouraged by my ‘achievement’. However, I should caution them that such an undertaking does incur many many hours of disciplined hard work.


During our interaction, Shaik Kadir suggested that perhaps we could all join hands and do a joint publication. Personally I am for the idea. Perhaps NHB could assist us with some funding and coordination.


I hope you will get hold of a copy of my book and together we can take a trip down memory lane and revisit the Singapore that exists only in our memories …….. and relive the ‘Times of Your Life’.


Thank you.


PS – Check out PY’s post of this event and my book as well as Walter's thoughts here.

Thanks to Char Lee (Icemoon) for this shot of my book displayed at Times Tampines.

17 comments:

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Flipped through the pages; well documented with appropriate images. Will get down to reading it soon.

Congrats Chun See. Thanks for invite to your launch.

Ivan Chew said...

Congrats, Chun See! Sorry i had to miss the event. I had to choose between family obligations and your launch, so the former won. But the latter was a very close second, as I consider FOYers an extended family. Btw, the photo of you giving a speech reminded me of the talk we co-conducted at Queenstown public library. You went from blogging to speaking to TV appearances to a book. Nice!

Monkey said...

Congrats Chun See again! just finished reading the book! We were pleasantly surprised to learn that your older brother is my husband's super senior from Bartley sec4A! hehe :) the photo brought back fond memories for his Bartley days in the 80s :)

Lam Chun See said...

Thanks November. My friend in UK,John Harper also read his in one day. Another friend Charles Phua who wrote the section on Gay World read it in 2 sittings. I guess this means the writing style is easy to follow. I hope it also means that it was an enjoyable read.

Lam Chun See said...

Ivan. Family shd always come first.

I also 'appeared' on radio and was interviewed on the prog, Passion People. That was a few years ago.

Victor said...

Congrats again, Chun See. I also read your book in 1 day. I guess the simple English you have written it in makes for easy reading. Of course, being Cantonese helps as you have provided Cantonese terms at several appropriate places in the book.

Oh yes, thank you for publishing the portion on the coffee shop telephone and attributing it to me. It was indeed a nice surprise to read it.

Lam Chun See said...

Sorry Victor, for misleading you. I was caught off-guard by the formal seminar setting; and just said a few sentences off-the-cuff. My apologies to all. Did not even give a proper acknowledgement to everyone who helped in my book. Fortunately I had done that in this blog earlier.

As for the YouTube comment, I think it might be Peter who said that. I think he shot a video. Not sure. But I'd rather not have that for public consumption :(

Ho Choo Cheng said...

Congrats Mr Lam, I like the book cover which made me think of the olden days. Thanks

fr said...

Keep it up, Chun See. 再接再厉.

Thimbuktu said...

Thanks to Char Lee for the photo at the bookshop. "Good Morning Yesterday - The Book" was displayed among the great books of the Times!

Anonymous said...

I went to Kinokuniya at Bugis Junction last Saturday but could not find your book there. Went over to Popular at Bras Basah Complex and still no luck.

Lam Chun See said...

My apologies. I will chase my distributor. Thanks so much for your support.

Lam Chun See said...

I just saw 2 copies at Times Jelitta.

Francis Dorai said...

Sorry to temporarily hijack this blog by posting an unrelated question. I've been commissioned by CDL to write a book on the NCO Club/Beach Road Camp site that is currently being developed into a hotel, apartment, office and retail complex (called South Beach). The book will also cover key sights along Beach Road that are no longer around, namely Clyde Terrace Market, the original Satay Club, Alhambra/Marlborough cinemas, Beach Road Police Station etc. I've already done my basic research on these places but what I am still searching for are specific recollections by people to use as quotes in the book. If anyone can remember times spent at any these places, including Beach Road Camp and NCO Club, please get in touch with me at framiche@singnet.com.sg

Thanks Chun See for allowing me to post this rather long message!

Edward said...

Hi Chun See,
My daughter rang to say your book has arrived. She has been away for several days and will bring your book over on Friday night. She sounded so excited on the phone – and I think she’ll probably read it before me. I am looking forward to reading it this weekend. Thank you!

Lam Chun See said...

Thank you Edward for letting me use your Spore Grand Prix story in my book. I edited a bit to shorten the essay.

singapore hotel deals said...

Wow, nice post,there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.Thank you for sharing to us.Please one more post about that..