Friday, October 14, 2011

2nd shot …. Of a different sort

My friend, Icemoon, likes to post Then-and-Now photos in his blog. He calls them “Second shot” – same place, just different time. Today, I too want to do a “second shot”. In my case it’s same place, same time but different subjects.




As usual, I was getting bored with my work and looking out of my window. Then I spotted a Yellow-Vented Bulbul eating away at the guava in our backyard. Suddenly it flew away, and the reason became apparent when a bigger, more aggressive mynah took over its place. No wonder my friend Peter hates mynahs. He calls them Tom and Jerry.

Such aggressive behaviour reminds me of some drivers on the roads; especially the North-South Highway in Peninsular Malaysia. Sometimes when you try to overtake a big vehicle, you see in the your rear mirror a car charging towards you. "Out of my way, or I will ram your behind!" is the apparent message. Sadly many of these cars carry Singapore license plate :(

5 comments:

JollyGreenP said...

Lovely pictures of your garden wildlife Chun See. They are well worth the moments distraction.

Icemoon said...

Is your second shot a mynah? I thought it has a nice colored beak. Good twist to an old word!

peter said...

If u want to watch video clip how the mynaj got hung, call me.

Pat said...

I guess Mynah news happen into twos ...

NOW: Looking at the "bigger, more aggressive" Javan Mynah (Acridotheres javanicus) eating outside Chun See's window.

YESTERDAY: Reading at CNA ('Who's in charge of bird nuisance?') that mynahs actually have no public enemy in S'pore. In contrast, NEA goes after crows, while AVA goes after pigeons.

Hmm, curious & curiouser ... Does anyone know how/why such unusual bird segregation arose in the public sector here, & why mynahs manage to get away scot-free (so to speak) ?

Incidentally, the introduced (& invasive) Javan Mynah is the most common bird species in S'pore. The native Indian/Common Mynah (Acridotheres tristis) is also very common, though not as common as the Javan Mynah. The native mynah has a distinct yellow ring around its eyes, while the exotic mynah lacks a yellow eye-ring. Surely govt officers dealing with birds can differentiate between the 2 species ?

Lam Chun See said...

Hi Pat. You seem to be quite knowledgeable about birds and mynahs. Have you seen the photos of mynahs on a moving rubbish truck that I posted in Facebook? here.

Maybe you can also help me to identify the type of bird nest here.