Thursday, March 23, 2006

My Stamp Collection - Part 2

Today, I am going to show a few more stamps of ‘extinct’ countries. But to make it more interesting, I will draft my post in the form of quiz questions. Those of you who read my blog regularly will know that I like to test the younger Singaporeans about history and heritage-related stuff. I usually ask those above 40 not to participate – in order not to embarrass them. Haha.

So here goes …

Image hosting by Photobucket
By the way, anyone remember our former PM's frequent exhortations to build a 'rugged society'?



Question No. 1 What was Singapore’s National Day - before 1963 that is?

Image hosting by Photobucket


Image hosting by Photobucket
Did you know that we were regarded as a 'state' of Malaya, like Johore or Penang?


Image hosting by Photobucket

Question No. 2

What was Sabah known as before they joined Malaysia?

Image hosting by Photobucket

Notice that they printed the words Sabah over North Borneo?

Question No. 3

Vietnam was a colony of which European power before independence?

Image hosting by Photobucket
In case you are not able to read the small print, it listed countries like Togo, Tunisia, Upper Senegal, Niger, Upper Volta, Vietnam, Wallis and Futuna Islands and many more.


Question No. 4

What was the name of this country? What is it known as now?

Image hosting by Photobucket

Looks like stamp collecting can be quite educational for of history and geography. Maybe some of the young friends reading this blog will be interested to take up this hobby and even form a stamps club in your school.

8 comments:

Victor said...

Chun See, my sister also collected stamps when she was a child. (My only sister is 4 years older than me. That means that she is of the same age as you.) I am sure I have seen some of your collection before in my sister's album. Too bad I don't qualify to participate in your quiz.

Lionel Tan said...

sadly to sad...now I seldom get mail, now all EMAIL.

Lam Chun See said...

Dear Cockcroach. Don't be too eager to receive 'snail mails'. Nowadays the 'snail mail' I get are are mostly bills from Singtel, SP, SCV, IRA etc etc. Sob.

Ivan Chew said...

Hey Chun See, I have those Singapore/ Malaya stamps too! An uncle gave them to me when I was 10, and I've kept them since.

fr said...

I don't collect stamps but I think I know the answers:
1. I don't think we have a National Day before 1963.
2. North Borneo ?
3. France
4. The Czech Republic ?

got prize or not?

Chris Sim said...

Frannxis - you overgrown leow lah. Chun See's questions here are posed for the school kids. Don't spoil the fun for them leh.

When I was growing up, my cousin gave me his collection of stamps in a couple of stamp albums, though I'm not a collector myself. I remember being enthralled by the colourful stamps from various countries. Then one day, he asked for their return and gave it to one of his best friends. Play cheat one!

Another cousin of my used to keep match-boxes as a hobby. It helped that her brothers were SIA stewards and they used to bring back match-boxes of various countries around the globe. Places of interest were featured on the match-boxes that came in different sizes and shapes (not just the rectangular ones). Unfortunately, she too gave up that hobby and gave the match-boxes away. Come to think of it, they are also a fire-hazard, hor?

Lam Chun See said...

Since I don't offer any prizes, I can't be too strict about the rules right. Anyway, since no takers from the kids, the young at heart also can take part lah.

Q1: The answer is in the 2 stamps but sorry images a bit blur. It says, 3 Jun 1961 and 1962.

Q2 & Q3: Correct.

Q4: Half marks.

Correct Answer: On January 1, 1993, Czechoslovakia peacefully split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia, in what was known as the Velvet Divorce (source: Wikipaedia)

Dee said...

Wow!! Impressive stamp collection that you have. I collect stamps too ;-) However, I am not an avid stamp collector now.

You do have a lot of special stuff to share with us ;-)