Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Looking for people who lived around the Singapore River Area

I received this request for assistance in my inbox. If you are able to help out please email me. Thanks.

***********************************************

Dear Mr Lam,

I am Mr Seow Hwye Min from Select Books. I came across your blog and was wondering whether you would be willing to help us contact people who lived around the Singapore River area from before the war to the 1950s.

Select Books is the publisher of the Hike It! series. This is a series of children's walking tour guide books. The series is supported under the National Heritage Board's Heritage Industry Incentive Programme. The first book in the series, Hike It! Bras Basah & Waterloo, was published in August 2009. We are now working on the second book, which will feature the Singapore River area.

In the course of the research, we felt that it would be ideal to identify a few people who lived in that area, so as to weave their stories into the book.

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,

Mr Seow Hwye Min
Director
Select Books
Email: publishing@selectbooks.com.sg

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to live in the Singapore River. Can I help?

Victor said...

Haha. I believe Anonymous can surely help. But he/she probably cannot remain anonymous.

I used to have a very good friend who lived in North Boat Quay but she was born after 1950s. I have blogged about Clarke Quay and North Boat Quay before.

Lam Chun See said...

I am afraid all I know is in the email above. You can write to Mr Seow at: publishing@selectbooks.com.sg

Or you can leave your email address and I will ask him to contact you.

Thanks.

peter said...

There is so much history at where Singapore River begins at Kim Seng Road.

In my time, I saw boat-building behind Zouk Disco.

In my elders' generation, they saw POW Camp at today's Great World City.

Anonymous said...

Along the Singapore River from Kim Seng Road to Robertson Quay, you can also see some historical information displayed along the river.